Friday, January 18, 2013

Brown Rice

Everyday it is a quotidian practice for me to make white rice with some curries or daal.Rotis and Bhakris are just affiliated sometimes with the rice.When we moved to a new city,we had to buy a lot of new things including a rice cooker.Moving from one city to another is an endeavoring process and we were very tired also.While we were heading back after our check out at store ,a lady started to say,ohhh got a rice cooker?,cook brown rice in it.I gave  her a bantam smile .May be she could figure out that we were too exhausted,so didn't bother about us replying back to her.We came home and I was excited to start using my new rice cooker,I looked into my pantry and I saw this indolently sitting pack of  brown rice.Grabbed it ,rinsed it with water and cooked it up.Anybody who have tasted this brown rice will not have it just plain,either they do salad with it or fry it in olive oil and make fried rice.I also had to do something mercurial with it.I cut a few of the vegetables and tossed them in olive oil ,added salt and mixed it well.My family just loved it.When I make up my mind about doing something I will make sure that it is tasty and also nutritious for my family and brown rice happens to be most nutritious than the usual white rice.

Ingredients for Fried Brown Rice,
Brown rice-1 cup
Basil leaves - 4
Beans- 8(chopped)
Carrots -1(big,chopped)
Peas- half of 1/4 cup
Green chillies-1(long slitted)
Soy sauce- 1 teaspoon
Salt-1 teaspoon
Olive oil-1 tbsp


  1. Cook the brown rice (in a pressure cooker add 1 1/4 cup of water for 1 cup of rice until 3 whistles) and keep it ready
  2. Take olive oil in a heated pan and add all the chopped vegetables except basil leaves,add soy sauce 
  3. Add the basil leaves and toss it for a second.
  4. Add the brown rice and salt and take it off the stove and mix it well.
  5. If you keep the pan on the stove even after you add the rice,the rice starts getting sticking to the base of the pan.
  6. Transfer to bowl to serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment